01172017Headline:

Virginia Beach, Chesapeake & Suffolk, Virginia

HomeVirginiaVirginia Beach, Chesapeake & Suffolk

Email Patrick Austin Patrick Austin on LinkedIn Patrick Austin on Twitter Patrick Austin on Facebook
Patrick Austin
Patrick Austin
Attorney • (800) 752-0042

Serious Accident on I-64 East at Twin Bridges Illustrates Importance of Caution While Sharing the Road with Motor Bikes

10 comments

Update: According to the comments provided below, Mr. Case, the victim in this terrible accident, passed away as a result of the injuries he sustained in this collision.

A serious collision occurred on I-64 East at Twin Bridges resulting in serious injuries to a man named Richard P. Case, II. Reports indicate that a 2011 Chevy Cruze was traveling east on I-64 and made an unsafe lane change. This resulted in the Chevy being hit in the back by a  2005 Harley Davidson, driven by Mr. Case.

Mr. Case was reportedly ejected from his motorcycle and had to be taken, by Nightingale, to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, according to the Daily Press. As mentioned above, Mr. Cases’ injuries are considered life-threatening.

The driver of the Chevy was charged with making an unsafe lane change. Making an unsafe lane change violates § 46.2-804 of the Virginia Code. The law specifically states that “a vehicle shall be driven as nearly as is practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from that lane until the driver has ascertained that such movement can be made safely.”

This awful accident illustrates the importance of being cautious when sharing a road or highway with a motorcycle. It’s an unfortunate fact – when a car collides with a motorcycle, the person on the motorcycle usually bears the brunt of the damage. This means the motorcycle operator is at a greater risk of suffering (as we see in this incident) a life-threatening injury.

Car, truck and SUV drivers may be thinking, “That’s not my problem. They’re the ones riding a motorcycle.” Well, it is your problem if you wind up hitting a motorcyclist causing serious, potentially-life-altering injuries. Keep in mind, if you cause an accident and the other party has significant injuries, that means the resulting pay out from your insurance policy, whether through settlement or jury verdict, is likely to be much higher than if you were involved in a fender bender with another vehicle. This is why exercising caution helps  both you and the motorcycle operator.

10 Comments

1. Brad Case says:
    up arrow

I am the brother of the victim of this tragic event. Quite naturally I hope Rick has a full recovery. However, this might be a good time for some reflective thinking by all of us. As was stated we are all supposed to be “sharing” the road and we all have a responsibility to be watchful for others. When I learned to drive I was taught to drive as though no one else on the road knew what they were doing. They called it driving defensively. And in the course of my lifetime I have discovered that even when you have followed all the rules and done everything right sometimes tragic stuff still happens. We all have the responsibility to be more vigilant and not assume that others have it covered. Rick and our family are not necessarily the only victims in this event. If the driver of the Chevy has a normal conscience he may have to live with the fact that he has caused cataclismic injuries or death to another living being for the rest of his life. Everyone on the road; cars, trucks and even motorcycles need to be more community minded patrons of the road we share. Nothing is going to fix every possibility but perhaps we can all contribute our part and minimize the useless tragedies.
    Thank you Mr. Austin for making this post. If it prevents even one incident it will be worth it. These types of events don’t always happen to some other family. Sometimes they touch your own.

2. beachbum says:
    up arrow

This “Brad Case” guy is a liar. Rick doesn’t have a brother. Unfortunately, Rick passed away last night (4/26/14) which can be confirmed. Obviously this guy knows nothing if he is posting this morning about hoping for a complete recovery. His true family and friends were there at the hospital with him. Why would you come on here and completely lie about being related to someone you don’t know? Just to make a point about motorcycle safety?

3. Brad Case says:
    up arrow

Beachbum (perhaps appropriately named)
    Rick most certainly does/did have a brother and I am him. If you were actually a friend of his you would have known that yourself. While we were not close we were nonetheless blood and I am affected by this tragedy as well. I am not a liar and your remarks are very cruel. I got home from work last and waited to hear if there was any new news on his condition and heard nothing from the same person who notified me of the accident in the first place, our sister. I live in the midwest and was not able to be by his side and that is the main reason why I was not there, if he really has died…
    None of this negates the fact that we all have responsibilities to the greater community.
    I await your apology for these rude and cruel remarks but I expect you won’t man up like you should when you do figure out you are wrong.

4. healingspirit says:
    up arrow

Please, lets learn from this tragedy. Rick was about peace. We all are hurting. And yes Rick did have a brother, and many friends who loved him. Thank you so much for the article. May is Motorcycle safety awareness month.

5. Co-worker/friend says:
    up arrow

My condolences to Rick’s brother and his entire family and friends.

6. up arrow

My deepest condolences go out to the Case family. It’s heartbreaking to lose a loved one, especially in a sudden and completely unexpected accident.

I hope you all are able to find solace with fellow family and friends.

7. Brad Case says:
    up arrow

You are correct HealingSpirit. This is not the forum to be disputing those kind of grievances. We should be focusing on what we can all do to make the world safer and a little better for everyone. And that was what Rick strove for and I believe that was the focus on the original article as well. A little more kindness and a little less self centeredness from each of us would make the roads a safer and more pleasant place for most everyone, especially since so much time gets spent on them anyway.
    It’s a shame that so many times it requires a tragedy to wake us up to some truths but perhaps we can make the best of this opportunity. I myself will work harder to be a more safe and courteous driver and perhaps others may also.

8. Co-worker and friend says:
    up arrow

My prayers and deepest condolences goes out to the entire Case family. Rick will truly be missed.

9. beachbum says:
    up arrow

My apologies for being a jerk. My emotions got the better of my judgement the other day and I regret it. RIP, Rick.

10. Brad Case says:
    up arrow

Apology accepted. I’m afraid my own foot has spent more time in my mouth than out of it at times.

We have not heard yet when any memorial services will be held so most likely my sister and I will not be able to attend, however I hope the services will have the healing and closure affects needed when they when they do happen. My condolences also go out to the friends and co-workers that got to spend time with Rick on a daily or semi regular basis. Many times friends can be as close or closer than family is and the loss can feel just as strong.