01182017Headline:

Virginia Beach, Chesapeake & Suffolk, Virginia

HomeVirginiaVirginia Beach, Chesapeake & Suffolk

Email Shapiro, Lewis, Appleton & Favaloro, P.C. Shapiro, Lewis, Appleton & Favaloro, P.C. on LinkedIn Shapiro, Lewis, Appleton & Favaloro, P.C. on Twitter Shapiro, Lewis, Appleton & Favaloro, P.C. on Facebook Shapiro, Lewis, Appleton & Favaloro, P.C. on Avvo
Shapiro, Lewis, Appleton & Favaloro, P.C.
Shapiro, Lewis, Appleton & Favaloro, P.C.
Attorney • (800) 752-0042

Avon Recalls Defective Product: Microwave Popcorn Maker Due to Burn and Fire Hazards

Comments Off

The Avon brand has long conjured up images of polished women, lipstick and pink Cadillacs. However modern day Avon now sells a variety of products in its catalogs. One product, the microwave popcorn maker, is now being recalled for being unsafe and defective. When cooked too long in the microwave the popcorn can overheat and ignite inside the popcorn maker causing injury from fire and burns.

Description

This recall involves Avon’s Microwave Popcorn Maker sold in the U.S. with item number 474-105 in Avon’s brochures and website. The recalled plastic popcorn maker consists of a clear tub and a yellow vented lid. The tub is 6 inches high and measures 7.5 inches in diameter and has three feet at the base.

Avon has already received 20 reports of the popcorn makers overheating, including two incidents involving fires that resulted in damage to microwave ovens. Although no injuries have been reported yet kitchen fires are a leading cause of serious injury and death. According to the U.S. Fire administration:

  • On average, an estimated 164,500 cooking fires in residential buildings occur each year in the United States.
  • Cooking was, by far, the leading cause of all residential building fires and injuries.
  • Confined fires, those fires involving the contents of a cooking vessel without fire extension beyond the vessel, accounted for 94 percent of residential building cooking fires.

Defective or unsafe products like this microwave popcorn maker are a prime example of a product that has failed to be properly safety tested. This product shouldn’t have made its way to the consumer because it was unsafe and likely to cause a fire. I would think that leaving popcorn in the microwave longer than needed to pop is a common occurrence and would have been one of the first things that the manufacturer and seller would have tested.

CT