According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one million people end up at the hospital each year for treatment of injuries they sustained in slip and fall accidents. Injuries range from bumps and bruises to fractured bones and even death.
- Texting and Walking Could Lead to Injury from a Slip, Trip, or Fall
- Snow or Ice Slip and Fall Injury
- Scientists Studying Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall injuries can take place anywhere that a hazardous condition is present, including retail establishments, businesses, private property, and the workplace. Some of the more common causes of slip and fall accidents that the Virginia personal injury attorneys from our firm see include the following:
- Irregular walking surfaces: Factors like uneven pavement, loose floorboards, and unmarked curbs can cause a person to trip, fall, and end up with serious injuries. Virginia law requires businesses where the public visit to have specific standards to their walking surfaces.
- Poor lighting: Premises open to the public, common areas in residential buildings, etc., should have adequate lighting for visitors, residents, or employees to be able to navigate, especially in areas like stairways.
- Contaminants and spills: When a liquid spills on the floor, it is crucial to clean it up properly or else this could present a serious slip and fall hazard. Businesses should always put out warning signs on floors that have been recently cleaned to warn anyone walking through that the floor is wet and could be slippery.
- No handrails: Municipal building codes and regulations have specific rules about locations where handrails are required for ramps and stairways.
- Tripping hazards: Issues with rugs, mats, wires, loose cords, and even clutter can create dangerous environments that can lead someone to trip, fall, and suffer serious injuries.
- Ice and snow: Walkways, driveway, parking lots, and other pathways should always be cleared of any ice or snow. Efforts should also be made to melt ice on areas that will be walked with deicing products.
Many slip and fall accidents are usually preventable and are a result of the failure of the property owner to keep the property free of hazards, even though they are required to by law. When a victim is injured because of the failure of the property owner to keep the property safe, they can pursue a premises liability claim against the property or business owner for the losses their injuries have caused them. This can include medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, permanent disability, and more.
Contact a Virginia Injury Attorney
If you or a family member has been injured in a pool accident, contact a seasoned Virginia premises liability attorney to discuss what legal recourse you may have. Even if it is not entirely clear who is the at-fault party, a Va. injury attorney will be able to determine which party or parties are liable. At Shapiro & Appleton, our injury attorneys have successfully represented numerous accident victims and have the legal expertise to handle these complex cases with positive results. Call 800-752-0042 for a free case evaluation.
An experienced personal injury attorney with dual licensure in Virginia and North Carolina, Eric Washburn received a B.B.A. in Finance from James Madison University—initially worked in the information technology field before obtaining his law degree from Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan. Once an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney in Danville, Va., Eric has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as a “Rising Star” Super Lawyer in Virginia since 2014.