It’s that time of year again, where millions of children all across the country will be making their lists for Santa of those special toys that they just absolutely can’t live without. This means that millions of parents will be on the hunt for those toys, either online or in the stores. Unfortunately, it is also the time of year where many families learn that the special toy their child wanted is actually a dangerous one. Each year, there are more than 225,000 toy-related injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency departments.
Every holiday season, the consumer group World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.) releases the ten toys they believe are safety hazards to children. This year’s list includes the following:
- Calico Critters Nursery Friends
- Get Outside Go Launch
- The Avengers Vibraniaum Claw
- WWE Jumbo Superstar Fists
- Gloria Owl
- Sci-Fi Slime
- Boomerang Interactive Stunt UFO
- Boom City Racers
- My Sweet Love Mini-Baby
- Mandalorian Darksaber
Keeping Children Safe
The above list is only a fraction of the number of dangerous toys that are currently on the market. When you are shopping for a toy for your child, consider some of the following safety tips in order to reduce the risk of injury:
- For children under the age of 3, avoid toys that have small parts, which could cause choking
- For children under the age of 8, avoid toys that have electric toys with heating parts or toys that have sharp edges.
- Check out the labeling on all toys for appropriate age levels and warnings
- Avoid toys with cords or strings, which can be dangerous for young children. Also, do not hang toys that have cords, ribbons, strings, or loops on or near cribs, playpens, or other areas where children can become entangled.
- Always supervise children who are using toys that have adapters or chargers, which pose a risk of thermal burns.
- Make sure to include the purchase of a helmet and other safety gear if you are buying your child a bicycle, scooter, skis, or skates.
Let Our Personal Injury Firm Help
If your child has been injured because of a dangerous product, a Virginia product liability attorney may be able to assist you in pursuing a claim against the manufacturer for selling a defective product or failing to issue proper warnings. Damages can include:
- All medical expenses
- Lost wages and any future loss of earnings if the victim has been left with a disability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Scarring or disfigurement
If your child has suffered injury or loss as a result of a defective toy, a Virginia personal injury attorney can help. With the assistance of an experienced, aggressive, and proven lawyer, the negligent manufacturer will be held responsible for the injuries and damages their product caused.
If you are interested in discussing your options, contact Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn today. Our legal team has more than 30 years of legal experience advocating for injured victims and their families and will work diligently to get you the financial compensation you deserve. Call our office today at 800-752-0042 to set up a free and confidential case evaluation.