My law partner Rick Shapiro has put together a comprehensive summary of Virginia tort law. He put together this summary as part of a major seminar for the Virginia State Bar where Rick presented to fellow Virginia attorney about personal injury law.
The summary of Virginia tort/personal injury law answers important questions like:
- What is the statute of limitations for personal injury in Virginia?
- What is the statute of limitations for wrongful death law in Virginia?
- Is there a cap on damages for personal injury or wrongful death claims in Virginia?
- Can pre-judgment interest be recovered in a Virginia lawsuit?
- What are the product liability laws in Virginia?
- Is Virginia a contributory negligence state?
- Which family member can recover damages from a Virginia wrongful death judgment?
- What are the special provisions for medical malpractice cases in Virginia such as damage caps, expert witness requirements, and what can be done is a doctor attempts to hide evidence of malpractice from a patient?
- What laws apply to workers compensation claims in Virginia?
- Does Virginia follow joint and several liability law?
- What court should I file my Virginia civil lawsuit in – general district court or circuit court?
- What happens if service of process of a Virginia civil lawsuit is delayed?
- Can a nonsuit be taken in Virginia?
- What is the Virginia Discovery Rule?
- Where can I find the Virginia Rules of Evidence?
- Where can I find the Virginia Rules of Civil Procedure?
- What are the damages that can be recovered in a Virginia wrongful death action?
- When can punitive damages be recovered in a Virginia civil lawsuit?
- How does an injured Virginia driver recover through their uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage?
- Does Virginia follow the Collateral Source rule?
- Does Virginia require mediation before going to trial?
- What is the Uniform Foreign Deposition Act and does Virginia adhere to it?
- Can a Virginia personal injury lawyer recover their case expenses?
We hope you find the Virginia tort law summary helpful. If you have a Virginia personal injury case and are looking to partner with a law firm, we accept referrals and co-counsel partnerships.