The Legal Examiner Affiliate Network The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner search instagram avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner
Skip to main content
 Aftermath of a car crash accident at a very busy intersection.

After being involved in a car accident in Virginia, police will respond to the scene. It is their job to conduct an investigation, determine the cause and figure out who was at fault. They will then document their findings in a police accident report. According to Virginia law, only specific people are entitled to request a copy of this report.  

Who do I contact about getting a copy of my police accident report?

The Virginia car accident attorneys at Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp realize that many car accident victims have no idea where to turn for help. Our experienced lawyers can walk you through each phase of the process and advise you on the best course of action for your situation. Reach out to our Virginia Beach personal injury lawyers today to schedule your free case review. 

Ordering a Copy of Your Virginia Police Crash Report

Virginia law only permits certain people to order a copy of the police crash report following a motor vehicle accident. These people include:

  • Any driver involved in the accident
  • Any passenger involved in the accident
  • Anyone who was injured in the accident 
  • A lawyer representing someone involved or injured in the accident
  • The parent or guardian of a child who was injured or killed in the accident
  • The owner of a vehicle that was involved in the accident
  • The owner of any property that was damaged in the accident
  • The personal representative of someone who died in the accident
  • The representative of an insurance carrier reasonably foreseeing civil liability due to the accident 

How Do I Order a Copy of My Police Crash Report?

In some instances, you might be able to acquire a copy of your police accident report by contacting the county sheriff or city police department that responded to your accident directly. If, however, your report was prepared by a Virginia State Police trooper, you will have to go through the DMV to get a copy. 

If, according to the list above, you are eligible to order a copy of the police crash report, you will have to complete Information Request Form CRD 93 from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles or send in a written request. 

In order to do so properly, you will need: 

  • Your full name, current address, phone number, and tax ID or Social Security number
  • The reason you are ordering the police crash report
  • The location, time, and date of the accident
  • The name and license number of the driver
  • If possible, include the names of any pedestrians, cyclists, or passengers who were involved in the accident as well  

There is an $8.00 fee for each copy of the report. This fee is payable online, or by check or money order if you submitted a written request.  

Written requests can be handed in at your local DMV, faxed to (804) 367-0390, or mailed to:

Custom Records Work Center, Room 514
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269

Why is a Police Crash Report Important?

Although the police crash report does not determine fault for an accident, it can offer useful insights and information pertaining to the cause of your accident. This information will be helpful to you and your attorney when you enter into negotiations with the insurance company or pursue your claim in court.

Call a Virginia Car Accident Lawyer After Your Crash

If you were injured in a Virginia auto accident, contact the Virginia Beach personal injury lawyers at Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp as soon as possible to schedule your free consultation. You can speak with an experienced member of our personal injury team about your options for recovery or ask for help obtaining a copy of your police crash report by calling us at (833) 997-1774 or through our online form.

Related Content

Comments for this article are closed.